Well, it was a big news in the digital world! Facebook officially announced that India has crossed the magic mark of 100 Million monthly active users – that is more than the population of top 10 metropolitan cities put together!
Retailers, watch out! 9% of India’s population are on Facebook and it is till now used to garner likes for your brand page. Very few brands have leveraged the power of Facebook Commerce.
We thought of doing a post mortem of this milestone and we present you the report
- India is Number 2 country after US when it comes to number of active Facebook user
Top 5 countries on the basis of Facebook active users (In Millions)
- 84 percent of 100 million Facebook users in India access it via mobile. This reaffirms the role of Smartphones in digital world!
- The largest age group is currently 18-24 with more than 50 million! followed by the users in the age of 25-34. Interestingly there are close to 2 million Indians on Facebook who are above 55 years old!
Age wise split of 100 Million Facebook active users
- There are 76% male and 24% female users in India, compared to 46% and 54% in United States respectively.
Male / Female ratio of 100 Million Facebook active users
- Top 10 brand pages in Facebook India
Number of Facebook Fans (In Millions)
Retailers are tapping Facebook to a great extent for increasing brand engagement and in turn sales.
“With a small budget for Facebook advertising, we got around 33,000 likes in a span of one month,” says Nivedha Charles of Pigtails and Ponys. The startup sells handmade hair accessories.
Given the internet surge in India, Facebook is now “looking forward” to 1 billion users in India, a seemingly impossible number! But with the ideas such as Internet.org, (an ambitious project to connect the 2/3 of the world who cannot afford the internet) there is a hope for Facebook.
What is your experience with Facebook marketing? Does your brand have a Facebook store?